In my Sunday School Class, we routinely play some sort of “Getting to Know You” game. The game usually involves random questions designed to find out something about one another we didn’t know before. The questions range from life-defining moments such as “who shared Christ with you” to “what’s been your most embarrassing moment.”
Every time we play a round of “Getting to Know You,” through the sharing of the most mundane, humorous, life changing experiences, we walk away encouraged and feeling closer to one another. Through the answering of questions and sharing about one another, the bonds of friendship in our class have grown deeper.
Next month, on August 3rd to be exact, is the 40th anniversary Joni and Friends. To mark the milestone, here are some things about the ministry you might not have known:
- Joni Eareckson Tada’s appearance on The Today Show in 1974 opened the door to national exposure.
- The first edition of the Joni book was released in 1976. Joni’s autobiography would eventually be translated into more than 45 languages resulting in over 5 million copies in print.
- It was 1982 when Joni began recording the inspirational Joni and Friends radio program, providing encouragement, biblical insights, and disability awareness.
Some things about Joni you might not have known:
- Joni’s favorite food: Lindy Eareckson’s Maryland crab cakes, Ken Tada’s barbecued tri-tip and any kind of fresh fruit salad.
- Her favorite movies are: Chariots of Fire, Miss Potter, Pride and Prejudice, The Blind Side and The Sound of Music.
- Her favorite places to visit are: The Holy Land, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Devon, England.
Read more about Joni and Friends and Joni, here. Hear more about the ministry and Joni in the “Joni and Friends” and “Diamonds in the Dust” radio programs (contact me to add either, or both, to your station line-up)!
Also, take a moment to extend your congratulatory note to Joni and the ministry on this milestone by commenting below!
P.S. To join in the marking of the ministry’s 40th milestone, contact me for an art-ready copy of this infographic to share on your social media platforms and/or web site!