Social media continues to evolve quickly – with new apps popping up every day, it can be a challenge to figure out which social media platforms will be the most valuable for investing time and money.
What’s not challenging is the decision that your radio station needs to be on social media.
To mark Social Media Day, June 30th , here are 10 statistics to keep in mind regarding the “interactive technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.”
- In 2023, an estimated 4.9 billion people use social media across the world.
- The average person bounces between seven different social networks per month – highlighting the need for a multi-platform approach to social media marketing.
- The most used social media platform in the world is Facebook, with roughly 2.96 billion monthly active users.
- 70% of American adults use Facebook.
- The amount of time internet users spend on social media is now higher than ever – 2 hours and thirty-five minutes every day around the globe.
- The most engaging type of content on social media is short-form videos.
- Total spend on social media advertising is projected to reach $268 billion this year.
- TikTok is the most frequently used app worldwide, with users spending an average of 23.5 hours per month on the platform.
- Instagram’s engagement rates are four times higher than Facebook (but have been continuously decreasing).
- The most common way people access social media is a mobile device.
Social media is about more than just apps and platforms: It’s a digital environment which provides an amazing opportunity for radio stations to further connect and cultivate community with their listeners.
Social media is more than just a trend. It is an essential piece of your radio station’s marketing strategy.