I remember popsicles, roller skates, and playing outside with neighborhood friends until the street lamps turned on. That was it – my simple recipe for a perfect childhood summer. Today, we grownups realize that sometimes there’s quite a bit of preparation needed to enjoy a perfect summer. And that got me thinking about how Christian radio is preparing to serve families this summer.
Do you want to help listeners thrive? Of course you do! And I’ve created, with help from Focus on the Family, a fresh recipe for the perfect summer family radio.
Prep time: Not long, and I’m here to help!
Serves: Your listeners
- 1 ministry celebrating 40 years in a big way (lifejacket optional)
- 1 daily half-hour broadcast (yes, this one)
- 1 daily one-minute media feature (must-have for summer movie season)
- 1 daily one-minute highlight feature (already in your cart?)
- 1 entertainment-rich weekly half-hour show (not just for special occasions!)
- 1 weekly “best of” show (new to you?)
- 1 weekly half-hour show for single young adults (it’s customizable, too)
- 1 daily (or weekly!) half-hour dramatic kids show (audition here)
In a large mixing bowl, stir in generous amounts of promotion to welcome former President George W. Bush to the daily broadcast on June 14 (full June lineup here). Set bowl aside to let rise. Take out your weekend airing dessert pan and place 500 candles for “The Boundless Show” in celebration of their milestone show airing in August. From the freezer, scoop up a helping of Radio Theatre’s “At the Back of the North Wind” but be sure to save room for “Prince Caspian” airing in summer’s second half. Next, get out the “you are special today” plate for the winner of the “Get in the Show” contest from Adventures in Odyssey (details, and your help here). Set the table with colorful napkins featuring Pirates of the Caribbean, Wonder Woman, and Despicable Me 3 – all movies Plugged In is set to review. Once everything is ready, enjoy your perfect summer family radio and please chime in with your thoughts below!
For more “recipes” from Focus on the Family, subscribe to the Focus Forward – a weekly guide for Christian radio. Manage your subscription here >>
P.S. If you’re looking for an edible recipe, I highly recommend this yummy summer recipe by Ambassador’s Jani Williamson.