This is my first AAA Café post, as we usually leave the culinary column to our expert chef, Jani Williamson. But when the Ambassador crew celebrated Jani and Michelle’s birthdays (they share the special day ☺!), I was honored to serve as dessert-bringer and bake a family favorite for the team. Depending on whether you buy generic or name-brand, this cake could cost you as low as $5.00 total. It’s a fruity and light treat that my family has enjoyed for years! If you try it, I’d love to hear what you think … tell me at Selah@ambaa.com!
- 1 box white cake mix (and eggs, water, and oil according to package directions)
- 1 box Strawberry Jello
- 1 8-ounce tub Cool Whip
- 10 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Bake cake according to box and let cool completely (one to two hours).
- Use a fork to poke several dozen tiny holes in the cooled cake.
Mix gelatin with hot water according to box instructions.
- Pour entire gelatin/water mix into cake (as shown at right) and refrigerate for 3-12 hours (depending on how much time you have—the longer, the better).
- Remove from refrigerator and spread Cool Whip as a “frosting” (use more or less to taste; I use the entire carton).
- Thinly slice strawberries and layer over the Cool Whip.