This recipe caught my eye when I was looking for something to bring to our ladies Christmas brunch. I love banana bread and thought the cranberries would add a special Christmas touch! The bread was very moist and very flavorful, and I was so pleased with the result! Hope you enjoy it too!
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and crumbly. Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup pecans and dried cranberries.
- Transfer to a greased 9×5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Delicious! A big hit with the ladies in my Sunday School class.