I’m the kind of home cook that likes to follow a written recipe exactly (at least the first time I make the dish) … but recently, I found several leftover ingredients that needed to be used (and I didn’t want to make a trip to the store). I have several recipes for similar casserole dishes, but I didn’t have all of the required ingredients for any of those recipes—so I put together this yummy recipe from the items I had in my pantry. It turned out really well so you might want to try it, too!
- 4 cups stewed and shredded Chicken Breasts
- 12 corn tortillas, torn or cut into large pieces
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup Chicken broth
- ½ medium Onion, grated
- 1 (16 ounce) jar La Victoria Thick n’ Chunky Salsa Verde (mild)
- Small can Sliced Black Olives
- 4 cups grated Cheese (I use a combo of Monterey Jack and Medium Cheddar), reserve 1 cup for the top
- Mix together Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken and chicken broth; add tortilla pieces and make sure all are well coated with soup mixture. Add chicken, onion, salsa, olives and 3 cups of grated cheese; mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the mixture in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover and bake in a 300˚ oven for 45 minutes; uncover and sprinkle on remaining cup of cheese; cook for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.